History
1906 -

Proudly serving the Brackenfell community since 1906

Brackenfell Primary School has a rich and meaningful history that is closely connected to the development of Brackenfell itself. The name “Brackenfell” was already in use by 1903 and is believed to have been given to the area by George Henry Walton. “Bracken” refers to a fern, while “fell” is a Scottish word meaning hill.

The beginning of organised education

Although children in Brackenfell may have received some form of education before 1906,
organised schooling officially began on 22 January 1906. The first school committee meeting was held on 9 January 1906, under the chairmanship of Mr H. Theunissen. Mrs A.N. Brink, owner of the farm Kruispad, donated land to the community for the building of the first school. While the school building was still being planned, Miss M. Miller, the first
teacher, taught 18 learners in the home of Mr C.M. Nagel.

The first school building

The first school building was erected in School Street at a cost of R580 and was officially opened in April 1906 by Rev. H. van Broekhuizen. As the community grew, so did the school, and by 1948 the learner enrolment had increased to 170 learners with six educators.

The current school grounds

As learner numbers continued to increase, a new school building became necessary. Land was obtained from the NG Church Kruispad, and the new school building was officially opened on 23 September 1960. This marked the beginning of a new chapter in the history of Brackenfell Primary School

Growth and development

Over the decades, the school continued to expand alongside the growing Brackenfell community. Important milestones included the development of additional school facilities, improved sports grounds, the introduction of pre-primary classes and aftercare, and the establishment of various centres that support academic, cultural and sporting excellence.

Key developments include:

  • The official opening of building extensions and renovations in 1990.
  • The adoption of Model C status in 1992.
  • The introduction of pre-primary classes and aftercare in 1997.
  • The opening of the L.O. Rall Centre in 2002.
  • The opening of the Louter du Toit Clubhouse in 2005.
  • The installation of a reverse-osmosis water system in 2018.
  • The opening of the Louis Redelinghuys Arts and Culture Centre in 2019.
  • The opening of the Elfreda Olivier Grade R Campus in 2022.
  • The development of the Astro hockey field in 2022.
  • The activation of the school’s solar power system in 2022.

A school rooted in its community

Brackenfell Primary School remains deeply connected to the history, growth and identity of Brackenfell. The school continues to reflect the spirit of the community it serves while striving for excellence in education, culture, sport and values-based development.

As the school looks to the future, it does so with gratitude, faith and confidence.

Possumus – Yes, we can!

SCHOOL CREST

On 17 October 1963 the school badge, designed by Dr C. Pama, was presented to the school committee by Mr S.P. Van der Merwe (former School Principal) and it was accepted. 

The open book is symbolic of knowledge while the peak represents Canon Hill with a canon ball. The two branches symbolize heather, a common indigenous shrub. The motto, Possumus, means: WE CAN!

 

SCHOOL SONG

Our school song’s Afrikaans and English words, as well as the music, were written in 1978 by Mr. Reuben du Plessis wrote.

Mr. Du Plessis previously taught in Middelburg and in the Cape and for 10 years was principal of Brandwag High School in Uitenhage. After that he was the principal of Sonop Primary School in Despatch.

Where rocky hill o’er heather veld

Kept watching in years of yore,

The school of Brackenfell has come

The school that we adore

To you we offer what we have

The talents we possess,

That you may flourish in our midst

And through the years progress.

A cannon shot resounded here

to spread good news to all,

And so we’ll laud our school this day

In answer to her call.

Like granite firm our boys will stand

As steadfast as a man,

And girls as fine as bracken green

Possumus, yes, WE CAN.

INTER-HOUSE SYSTEM

The traditional color sports groups were replaced in 2002 with an interhouse system, where three patrons were appointed. These houses compete against each other in the academic, cultural and sports field. Their achievements are measured with a points system and these points are projected in the lobby to encourage the learners. The flags are brought in every Friday morning during the hall ceremony according to the standings. The group with the most points’ flag is hung highest. 

Here are our three patrons:

Mr M. Visser

Mr. Max Visser was the chairman of the school committee from 1970-1989

Mr H. Brummer

Mr Hannes Brummer was the chairman of the school's governing body from 1989-1996.

Mr. J. Stassen

Mr Johan Stassen was the School Principal from 1981-1996.